[Xmca-l] Re: Time, Imagination, Metaphor

larry smolucha lsmolucha@hotmail.com
Fri Dec 19 15:37:49 PST 2014

Message from Francine:

These three threads are all related (not forgetting perception and imagination).

One of the things about XMCA threads is that the members each have so much
to contribute, from their own perspectives as well as bibliographic references.

The discourse does get philosophical raising old metaphysics questions of
epistemology "How do we know what we know?" "How is our understanding
shaped by language and culture?" XMCARs tend to be particularly self-conscious
about their own use of language - which is good. There seems to be a striving
for a new framework (paradigm) that clarifies these cross-cultural semiotic
differences.

The project I am working on is on how new ideas, customs, inventions, language,
art, music, etc. are created through Cultural Synergy - when 'artifacts' from one
culture enter another and are combined into something  more than how the artifacts functioned in their original cultures. I can give mundane examples such as how
noodles from China become spaghetti, elbow macaroni, etc. Or, the wheel as
a potter's wheel, a wagon wheel, a gear, a grinding stone, a steering wheel, etc.
(and all the mechanical devices that combine wheels, like pulleys and clocks and
the first calculator). Concrete examples are a good start but there are more
conceptual examples that I have just not had time to clarify. The discussion
of time as it differs cross-culturally is  a good starting point. Where I personally
would want to go with this, is to look how how new conceptions of time emerge through
inter-cultural contact. That is metaphysics.

I also wonder how the semiotics of European, Middle Eastern, and Chinese cultures
are related to their invention of the wheel and advancements in metallurgy.
(Noting that Western African tribes did smelting of ore). The 'Natural' Science
that arises from European culture begins as mechanical physics and alchemy
in which machines have parts and chemicals have elements. It has evolved into
the study of energy, and systems theory.

There is enough here for ten volumes. Anyone interested?