[Xmca-l] Re: Time

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 23:36:03 PST 2014

Interesting how you have taken this Andy - to suggest that the Hopi lack a
founding principle of Natural Science.

Whorf actually takes this in generally the opposite direction. In his work
on the Hopi language, he suggests that one finds a language much better
suited to thinking about the theoretical physics of Whorf's day (e.g.,
Einstein's theory of relativity, quantum mechanics, etc.). In that sense,
Hopi is, in fact, closer to describing the way the world really is. (and
I'll quickly rescind those last six words if you have any objections!).

As to your assumption that science requires the objectification of the
natural world, I'm sure there are others on the list who would agree with
me that there is good reason to question the necessity of subject/object
dualism for science. (and perhaps you were referring to a particular
scientific tradition by calling it "Natural Science" - maybe scary scare
quotes are needed?).

-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.