[Xmca-l] Re: Metaphors

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Thu Dec 18 16:35:36 PST 2014

I'd also like to add this quote from the paper by Modell that Robert Lake added to the fray:

page 34:

"What is uniquely human is a generative imagination from which the individual can create an internal unseen world. If the neural correlates of a metaphoric process are established, it is likely to reflect some form of bootstrapping, some form of the brain’s “turning around upon its own schemata,” something analogous to what has been described by Edelman as a “higher order” consciousness that incorporates a capacity for self-reflection. Edelman proposed that a “higher order” consciousness is multilayered and complex, as compared to a comparatively less complex primary consciousness, which is “the remembered present” (1992, p. 109). Edelman does not directly propose a neural theory of metaphor or of imagination, but he does suggest that higher mental functions such as the formation of conceptual categories may reflect “higher-order maps,” that to construct conceptual categories the brain constructs maps of its own activities, that the brain makes maps of its own maps, which are not fixed topographically. Indeterminism is a necessary attribute of such higher-order functions."

--end quote

This would seem that our neuronal functioning must stay agile and flexible in order to make these connections at the "speed of light." This description of "the brain’s 'turning around upon its own schemata,'" seems to correspond to the way that a metaphor functions.

This indeterminism also supports why there is no one method of thinking processes, that each individual's brain is responding to layers of events and cues and its own ecology determines how it "makes sense" of the content that a person is exposed to in "external" and "internal" worlds. (Sorry Martin!) This content exposure will determine maps of maps of maps that are unique to the individual. I also wonder if the reason memory fails us is that we may lose these maps if they are not utilized.

On a little bit different note: Syntax and "indeterminancy" don't seem to go together that well. Meaning does couple with this because meaning can shift based upon use and insight. I'm willing to accept syntax as functioning something like the root or the trunk of the tree, and the branches and leaves being more flexible would be analogous to the infinite ways we can use language through metaphor and combination.

Such is my paltry attempt at a linguistic endeavor.

Kind regards,

Annalisa

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of HENRY SHONERD <hshonerd@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2014 5:09 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Metaphors

Annalisa touches on so much. I would just like to comment on her last paragraph on hieroglyphs. Apparently all writing systems go through stages starting with pictographs. Some go logographic, like Chinese, where you can see the pictographic beginnings. Other languages go alphabetic, whereby the pictographic beginnings are less apparent. The advantage of the logographic, with Chinese in particular, is that very different spoken varieties of the language (Mandarin and Cantonese) have a common written form. Disadvantage: Lots of characters. The advantage of the alphabetic is the fewer number of characters for writing. Disadvantage: Mismatches of pronunciation and writing over time and space.
Henry