[Xmca-l] Re: Imagination

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 10:30:37 PST 2014

Robert,
I want to push your comment towards Mike's exploration of *rising from the
ground AND returning to the ground*
You wrote:

" In other words, he believed that at the base of
all thinking, there is a metaphoric relationship.  Richards takes this one
step further when he suggests that metaphors are “cognitively irreducible'
"

It is the notion of *irreducuible* and its relation to "the literal". The
 relation OF "the metaphoric" AND t*the literal* -  [the rising and
falling].

I once again want to bring in Raymond Williams and his notion of effective
historical  *styles* that grounds our notions of the fact/fiction boundary
and what is on one side and what is on the other side.
I am suggesting that the interesting phenomena are in the PERMEABLE
boundary markings  [the imaginal place of gaps and gap-filling] .
I wonder if what is irreducible is THIS MOVEMENT ACROSS THE GAPS.

Each specific historically effected socially situated consciousness trans
-verses this "gap" by trans-verse-ing  the gap within the border
lands using our imaginal *constructions* [in other theories we would say
the imaginal *cultivations*]  Performing [moving] within BOTH sedimented
AND emerging consciousness

It seems to me that our socially situated relation to the *imaginal* and
the *literal* may be moving THROUGH OR BEYOND OR INTO OR WITHIN a sea
change in the relation of fact/fiction border lands.

Turning to Vico and Goethe I read as a trans-verse-al movement [or
performance].

In the book *Carnal Hermeneutics* Goethe's "in the beginning is the Deed"
is trans-lated into the motto of the book by BONDING *beginning* AND *deed*
together. The motto becomes:

"in the beginning was embodied sociality"

A quick reference to *the third space* in Kris' article on nondominant
performances. I read her as *cultivating* a new radical phenomenological
embodied sociality that is trans-lating and trans-versing the current
border lands. Living WITHIN THIS *third space* as a radical re-visioning of
our current modernist *style*

Larry