[Xmca-l] Re: Chomsky, Vygotsky, and phenomenology

Aria Razfar arazfar@uic.edu
Wed Dec 17 11:10:08 PST 2014

"Cartesian Linguistics" was written in 1966. I believe Chomsky used it as a
"metaphor" tracing the history of language studies since the Enlightenment.
He basically used it to argue that language studies (in the West at least)
suggests that some grammatical structures are fundamental properties of the
mind. In 1977, "Language and Responsibility" he argued against mind-body
dualism and this false binary of modern empiricism. While many of his
Chomsky's assertions about the nature language have been debunked, he played
an important historical role and his thoughts have continued to evolve.
Given the historicity of development, Chomsky has moved quite a bit since
the fifties and sixties. More recently, he has argued that "body" as fixed
and unchanging is as problematic as static notions of mind. He further
rejects the Cartesian concept of "body" citing "seventeenth century
Newtonian physics." So I'm not sure if I would characterize Chomsky as
Cartesian.

Aria

Aria Razfar, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Literacy, Language, and Culture
Director of Graduate Studies, Curriculum and Instruction
University of Illinois at Chicago
1040 W. Harrison St. M/C 147
Chicago, IL, 60607

Director of English Learning through Mathematics, Science and Action
Research (ELMSA)
www.elmsa.org

Webpage: http://education.uic.edu/personnel/faculty/aria-razfar-phd
Tel: 312-413-8373