[Xmca-l] Re: Chomsky, Vygotsky, and phenomenology

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Wed Dec 17 10:07:09 PST 2014

I think Engestrom makes a strong rejoinder to Bereiter that the learning paradox relies to a certain extent the development of complexities inside the individual head - but perhaps there is no reason to have to make this argument.  I am getting this right (not sure because I concentrated on his section on Mead - well because my thinking of the subject stops in 1933 or thereabouts).  That increased complexity occurs through symbol enabled collaboration (I tend to take a more Deweyan read of Mead, seeing symbols more as secondary vehicles than primary motivators for collaboration).  The Pragmatists would say there's no reason to go inside the head, and obviously when we collaborate using symbols who can create new, more complex ways of thinking about things.  One thing I realized reading some of the chapter was that Chomsky never took on Mead or Dewey.  Perhaps it was because they were not considered part of the cognitive revolution - or perhaps because his arguments break down - as they might with a more Pragmatic reading of Vygotsky.

Michael
From: xmca-l-bounces+mglassman=ehe.ohio-state.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu [xmca-l-bounces+mglassman=ehe.ohio-state.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu] on behalf of Vera John-Steiner [vygotsky@unm.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:53 PM
To: 'eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity'
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Chomsky, Vygotsky, and phenomenology

While Chomsky is indeed very influential his approach to language and its
acquisition is opposite to that of Vygotsky. He focuses on syntax while
Vygotsky focuses on semantics.
He proposes an innate language acquisition device while Vygotsky approaches
language developmentally. (I am repeating some of Carol's points.) He is a
Cartesian,while Vygotsky
Opposed mind/body dualism. And the list goes on.
I don't think he can be integrated into CHAT.
Vera