[Xmca-l] Re: Chomsky, Vygotsky, and phenomenology

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Wed Dec 17 08:48:12 PST 2014

Fodor and Cogsci did, however, directly Butt heads. He specifically claims
the impossibility of cognitive of science in the form of (now) parallel
distributed processing systems. The discussion of that claim produced at
lot of fireworks at the local CHIP seminar when I got folks to read Fodor
and present their own, presumably relevent work.

If the issue has been consensually resolved, i have failed to hear about it.
mike
PS--- An excellent discussion of the learning paradox is in Yrjo's Learning
by Expanding, which can be found at
http://lchc.ucsd.edu/mca/Paper/Engestrom/Learning-by-Expanding.pdf

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 8:32 AM, David H Kirshner <dkirsh@lsu.edu> wrote:

> This is very true, Martin.
>
> But Chomsky's innateness thesis--that the deep structure of human grammar
> is hard-wired as part of our genetic endowment--has no resonance with
> assumptions of cognitive science. The reason there was not a more active
> contesting of innateness by cognitive scientists is twofold.
>
> First, cognitive science, fashioned at that time around the metaphor of
> the serial digital computer, is a theory of information processing, not of
> learning. The early models of learning (e.g., Anderson's initial ACT
> Theory) were very brittle, positing that new production rules (the basic
> elements of mental processing) could be created mechanically in ways that
> (a) meshed into the existing structure of production rules, and (b)
> improved the performance and capabilities of the system--very questionable
> claims. So cognitive science did not have a secure foundation for learning
> that they would want to defend against the quite outlandish thesis that the
> basic structures of language don't have to be learned because we come
> equipped with them.
>
> Second, it was politically opportune to have Chomsky to join forces with
> the emerging cognitive science as a way to slay the dragon of
> behaviorism--looking at Chomsky's critique of Skinner's Verbal Learning,
> who WOULDN'T want Chomsky on their side!
>
> David

It is the dilemma of psychology to deal with a natural science with an
object that creates history. Ernst Boesch.