[Xmca-l] Re: The Annotated Bibliography Project (ABP)

Greg Mcverry jgregmcverry@gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 06:35:02 PST 2014

I support this effort but I agree on the concernse raised by others:

-Choosing the texts for the onboarding process
-Determining whose values get upvoted by picking the texts.
-Creating enough groundswell for the project to be meaningful.

Then there is the issue of copyright and what tool to use.
-A wiki is great but folks will need to learn shortcode or markdown to
annotate.
-I love annotating on genius.com (and in XMCA group could be set)  but you
are siloing your work.
-There is Diigo...
and the lsit goes on

Basically what it sounds like yoy are trying to do is two things (public
annotation of texts) and create learning pathways into the XMCA community.

Maybe it is best to separate the two.
1. Get as many texts that can be legally published and shared on the open
web. Invite folks to start annotating.
2. For the n00b project create a set of learning modules (maybe on your 1-5
scales) that folks can step in and out of at will...who knows maybe one day
even facilitate a little community discussions around this class.

Right when I first discovered XMCA I tried to work with folks to set up a
Vygotsky study group on Evernote for us that were new. We had all the
commitment but lacked anyone with expertise.

On the flip side If we dropped n00bs into an annotated documents where
folks spend days arguing over the translation of one Russian word  (important
work but not for an onboarding effort) people may leave as well.