[Xmca-l] Re: Imagination

peter jones h2cmng@yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 14 16:23:58 PST 2014

Hi Larry
I often wonder what exactly the axes are within Hodges' model and other 2 X 2 frameworks?
The axes, provide structure and with that the care (knowledge) domains. The bare model then provides 'conceptual spaces'?
Interesting your description of gutters, frames...

Hodges' Model: Welcome to the QUAD: two cultures? physical care-mental health care : healthcare-social care : Hodges' model axes

|   |
|   |  |   |   |   |   |   |
| Hodges' Model: Welcome to the QUAD: two cultures? phys...Welcome to the QUAD provides a space for reflections on a HEALTH, SOCIAL CARE and INFORMATICS model with universal potential in terms of application and... |
|  |
| View on hodges-model.blogsp... | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

 Peter Jones
Lancashire, UK
Blogging at "Welcome to the QUAD"
http://hodges-model.blogspot.com/
Hodges Health Career - Care Domains - Model
http://www.p-jones.demon.co.uk/
h2cm: help 2C more - help 2 listen - help 2 care
http://twitter.com/h2cm
      From: Larry Purss <lpscholar2@gmail.com>
 To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
 Sent: Sunday, 14 December 2014, 23:56
 Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Imagination

I am fascinated with the *empty* spaces, the *gaps* that must *open* for
there to be any pictures or objects or things or essences.  I particulary
like Mike's metaphor of the mind existing in the *gutter* between the
frames of comic strips.  There is frame one then [a gutter] frame two then
[a gutter] frame three then [a gutter].

On example of the need for the open spaces for gap filling. When
intersubjectively engaging with others if we *mark* the others movement too
closely [mirrored marking]  the other feels oppressed. A mother who cannot
sense or read the baby's needs and imitates or mirrors the baby's movement
is experienced as oppressive. There must be space in the dance.

I also would like to draw attention to Raymond Williams exploring our
notions of the IMAGINAL as understood as a particular historical *style*
[the fact/fiction as object/subject relation.]
When I read about the *third space* and *hybrid* testimonials that are BOTH
autobiographical and intersubjectively composed [hybrid formings as
structures of feeling that are not yet pictures or clear perceptions], I
hear echos of a new relation to fact/fiction emerging. I sense this novel
creative movement as *playing with* [as Gadamer uses the term to indicate
being *carried* or *drawing out*]
The notion of *experience* in English collapses two distinct meanings in
German.  1] the personal subjective Romantic type experience and 2]
experience as moving within the *play* and being carried by the *play* and
in this reciprocal movement *experiencing* a developmental  *shift*.
Experience as intersubjective not subjective. A different meaning of
*experience*
This is enough for my turn in our play

Larry