[Xmca-l] [#Listserve Issues] - Suggestions for Changing Practices at XMCA

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 11:12:38 PST 2014

If I may naysay just a bit (Mike knows I can be an insufferable naysayer!),
I suspect that the greatest problem with the list is how successful it has
been. Over the past 20 years, the list, as well as the interest in
Vygotsky, CHAT, SCT, etc, has hugely expanded. The interests of XMCA-ites
include: first language learning, second language learning, language in the
classroom, literacy, diversity issues, culture and education, workplace
learning and activity, organizing (both community AND labor), philosophy,
and that's not to mention the split between those new to Vygotsky vs. those
who have been around for longer. That introduces a dizzying diversity of
interests.

My sense is that this great diversity, while an asset in so many ways,
makes it difficult to find the common ground necessary to engage in this
particular type of activity and make for the kind of shared motive that can
smoothly propel us forward together (we are certainly moving forward, but
in fits and starts and in a manner that seems alienating to the many while
barely sustaining for the few). This lack of common ground means that posts
often have to be very long in order to establish the necessary common
ground. And I agree with Helena that this is a big problem. But I think the
problem stems from a lack of common ground and the constant need to
establish one's bases for even asking a question in the first place.

WHAT IS TO BE DONE?
In light of this concern, I wonder if there might be some way to divide up
the list into subgroups so that people with already established common
ground can work together without having to explain the basic assumptions of
their area of interest. Some options come to mind;

1.    Break the listserve up into multiple listserves. This would
streamline things but it would also mean that there wouldn't be as much
cross-talk between people working in different areas.

2.   Alternatively, we could say that at the beginning of the subject line
the poster should indicate the subset of concerns that are addressed in the
post as I have done in this email, using the sub-topic "Listserve Issues".
Two ways to do this:

2a. Provide a list of possible topics to always indicate first in the
subject line. We could collectively "police" this by asking/reminding
posters to indicate the sub-topic in their heading (as I have done here,
with the subtopic marked with a hashtag since it seems like those are cool
these days - and no, I'm not a tweeter).

2b. Let the categories emerge organically as people make them up as they go
along. (this can get messy quickly).

I'm partial to 2a, but can see the sense in 2b. (and I'm not much of a fan
of option 1).

2a or 2b would allow the group to continue with its large size and provide
individuals with the choice to focus on certain topics while ignoring
others (and more groups would also provide more people with the opportunity
to participate). The hope would be that small communities within
communities would form that would be more focused and directed while at the
same time maintaining the community as a whole as a kind of meta-community.

My two cents.
greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.