[Xmca-l] Re: NYT Op-Ed: Class Prejudice Resurgent

Bill Kerr billkerr@gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 17:42:14 PST 2014

Annalisa,

As you say David Brooks wrote:

"That’s, in part, because we’ve moved from simplicity to ambiguity. The
civil rights struggle was about as clear a conflict between right and wrong
as we get in national life. The debate about Ferguson elicited complex
reactions among most sensible people."

>From the known facts (12 shots fired) I don't see the shooting of Michael
Brown as an illustration of "ambiguity", unclear or "complex" as Brooks
argues. His general thesis, of a shift from race hatred to class / race
hatred, is one I have some sympathy for but in this particular case the
known facts get in the way of a nice narrative.