[Xmca-l] Re: Sociocritical theory a la Kris G

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 15:15:52 PST 2014

Luisa and Mike,
My depth of knowledge in the xmca chat, its foundations, is much shallower than yours, so the articles by Pelaprat and Cole and Gutierrez don’t evoke nearly the connections for me, I am sure, but enough that I think it worth sharing. In reading the Pelaprat&Cole article (Gap and Imagination) AND Gutierrez I came across Engstrom in the bibliography. I found his article on Expansive Learning on the internet. It brings to my mind the idea of “mashing up” that David K., I believe, likes to use. As well it brings to my mind Langacker’s notion of symbolic assemblies, which brings together grammar and discourse (i.e., usage-based grammar) unshackled by grammar as static constituency. Furthermore, I work with urban Indians in a charter school here in Albuquerque. I am convinced that dialog a al Bakhtin, Freire, and Horton are the key to what I am trying to do, perhaps as much as many of you are trying to do with this chat. In light of the ferment in the country over the killings of unarmed Black men, there is hope now for the kind of flourishing that Andy’s article talks about in the article that he has sent to us recently on a number of occasions. I hope this email does not seem ungrounded, rather that it adds one more voice to a call for relevance and relationship, without a loss of rigor.
Henry