[Xmca-l] Re: NYT Op-Ed: Class Prejudice Resurgent

Bill Kerr billkerr@gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 14:02:38 PST 2014

The David Brooks article doesn't connect very well with the known facts of
the killing of Michael Brown, namely:

It is now clear 12 shots were fired by Officer Wilson, the last of which
struck Mr Brown in the top of the head. He was hit 7 times. The deadly
encounter started while Officer Wilson was seated in his police cruiser.
The first two shots were fired by the officer while still in the car. Most
witnesses said that at that time, Mr Brown was leaning through the driver’s
side window. The victim’s blood was found inside and outside the car and on
the officer’s clothing. A bullet was lodged in the armrest. ...

Ten of the twelve shots were fired after Officer Wilson got out of his
cruiser. Mr Brown’s body was found 153 feet away. All the fatal shots were
fired when Mr Brown was away from the police car. While some witnesses said
he was fleeing the car when they were fired, a greater number of witnesses
said they came as the victim was moving towards the officer, McCulloch said
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/michael-brown-shooting-ten-things-we-know--or-know-better-now-the-ferguson-grand-jurys-work-is-over-9881046.html

The claim that there is a shift in our understanding of race and class does
not seem all that relevant to the particularity of this case IMO.