[Xmca-l] Re: NYT Op-Ed: Class Prejudice Resurgent

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 22:12:12 PST 2014

Andy,
That quote was from the Brooks piece that Annalisa had mentioned.

Annalisa,

My sense was that what Brooks was talking about was cross-class
friendships. I kinda doubt that there is much of that here on XMCA.
Friends, surely. But cross-class, maybe less so.

If you look at cities across the U.S. across time, you'll find an
increasing polarization of neighborhood by class. These are seen in our
common sense notions of "the rich part of town" and the "poor parts of
town" (yes, there are always more of the latter than the former!). Many
different structural forces are aligned to make these even worse (e.g., the
way schools are funded). With that in mind, I think Brooks' idea of
friendship across class lines is a lovely one. But my question is: what can
we do to make these kinds of arrangements happen?

And, more cynically, can these arrangements amount to anything more than a
Sisyphean hill of beans (there's an evocative string of words!) if the
structural basis of class-based segregation is not addressed?

And speaking of the 30's, Myles Horton's Highlander School seems exemplary
to all that we are discussing here. Certainly more than a hill of beans
that was made by that radical hillbilly...

-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor