[Xmca-l] Re: NYT Op-Ed: Class Prejudice Resurgent

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Mon Dec 8 21:40:35 PST 2014

Esteemed discussants,

I accept that there is a tired way of looking at the status quo that isn't productive. What the new cry is, is to be determined. I liked Occupy's manifestation while it lasted, if it is still viable, but only the peaceful manifestations.

Rather than get caught deep in the history, which is not to be dismissive of it, I wonder if it is possible to find new words and new meanings. My belief is that non-violence is the only viable approach. Of course may I refer to Gandhi and how he could wrangle liberation from an existing and very hardened class system. He did not rid the system, but it was a start.

So for me such an enterprise would involve examining our discourse about class and where it becomes inflammatory, and then earnestly deciding (in collaboration) how to frame that in more peaceful and constructive forms. It's not to control speech, but to be mindful how our speech informs our thinking about it, which may also reveal how our thinking may be revealed in our speech. This seems very Vygotskian.

That is my perty novice take on it.

Kind regards,

Annalisa

From: xmca-l-bounces+annalisa=unm.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces+annalisa=unm.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Dr. Paul C. Mocombe <pmocombe@mocombeian.com>
Sent: Monday, December 8, 2014 9:07 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: NYT Op-Ed: Class Prejudice Resurgent

Annalisa,

The problem as I see it is this emphasis by liberals on equality of opportunity, recognition, and distribution...if we are to survive, on this planet that is, we need a new rallying cry against capitalism and class differentiation.

Dr. Paul C. Mocombe
President
The Mocombeian Foundation, Inc.
www.mocombeian.com
www.readingroomcurriculum.com
www.paulcmocombe.info

Hi Mike,

Why is this the case that 1930s is "non-appropriatable" by later generations? Is it because the stories are not told and shared? McCarthyism? I'm not understanding.

I have a hard time accepting the difficulty groking of it. There are people who are at a gross disadvantage because of a lack of opportunities and lack of advantages.

What is there to grok? It is a sincere question, and not meant to be inflammatory in any way.

Perhaps it is not knowing HOW to discuss it. That is my guess. But there has to be a way to discuss it. Where there is a will there is a way.

Kind regards,

Annalisa