[Xmca-l] Re: The meaning of affordances

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 13:53:28 PST 2014

Helena,
Your comment:
"I think it's pretty obvious that whatever system us Westerners have
trusted is about to self-correct in a pretty violent way, leaving few of us
behind, including our grandchildren"
may be a central guiding *image* which gets to the *heart* of the subject
and object *matter*

Do we need a *new* guiding metaphor such as what am *I* or what are *we*
doing for our grandchildren. You are pointing to the need for a new
*guiding metaphor* that replaces the now dominant metaphor in the West of
the sovereign individual.

I do wonder if *knowledge* or *reason* alone will get us to a new
metaphor.  Michael's question of not trusting *control* [first order
cybernetics] can be included here. I do believe our preoccupation in the
West with the individuated *self* is implicated in the need for control
[and certainty.

Holding on to the image of our common responsibility for all
our grandchildren within *interpretive communities* is a "theme" [or some
would say a mytheme]

 *trust* [which is closely related to FAITH] extends beyond first order
cybernetics and *controlling systems* There is a dynamic beyond
"self-control" that points to the *heart* of the matter. To take the
perspective that we are *here* for our *grandchildren* is for me a
*generative* imaginal space to attempt to occupy and from which to guide my
actions and activities in the world.

Learning seems to be central to orienting to the *heart* of the matter. But
do we also need to hold an image of our grandchildren's needs at the
forefront of our attention [and shared metaphors]??
Larry