[Xmca-l] Re: labour and signs

Haydi Zulfei haydizulfei@rocketmail.com
Fri Dec 5 01:13:42 PST 2014

Thank you , Andy ! These are very good points to discuss and read about and we agree that dogmas are not the solution . With the idea that consciousness is !! immaterial or mostly (opinions) immaterial , one move of googling on the Net was enough but we , here , ascended to 100+plus posts to see what Vygotsky's text meant and for what reasons . This is the way one learns . I worried about Folks' tolerance ; now I see many posts . Good to hear others' words .

Things are really very complex and at times very confusing and the appetite for learning is unlimited . Thanks again !

"Since the principle of signification leads us into the area of artificial devices, the question arises as to its relation to other forms of artificial devices, of its place in the general system of man's adaptation. <In a certain specific relation>, the use of signs shows a certain analogy to the use of tools.  Like all other analogies, this analogy cannot be carried to the bitter end, to a full or partial coincidence of the major essential characteristics of the concepts being compared. For this reason, we must not anticipate finding much similarity to working tools in these devices that we call signs. Moreover, together with similar and common characteristics in one activity or another, we must ascertain the essential characteristics of the difference in a certain relation-contrast."

"The second point whose presence explains the possibility of the appearance of a new regulatory principle of behavior consists of the fact of social life and interaction of people. In the process of social life,  man created and developed more complex systems of psychological connections without which work activity and all social life would be impossible. The devices of psychological connection in their very nature and in their essential function are signs, that is, stimuli artificially created to affect behavior by the development of new conditioned connections in the human brain. Both points taken together lead us to understanding the possibility of the development of a new regulatory principle. Social life creates the need to subject the behavior of the individual to social requirements and together with this,  creates complex signalization systems, means of communication that guide and regulate the development of conditioned connections in the brain of each person. The organization of higher nervous activity creates the necessary prerequisites, creates the possibility of external regulation of behavior."
      From: Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>
 To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
 Sent: Thursday, 4 December 2014, 5:58:56
 Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: labour and signs

Haydi, exactly what Vygotsky's idea was about this or that, at this or
that time, is something beyond my powers to know. I just try to make
sense as best I can of what I find in his writings. So I can only say
what conclusions this has led me to. Participation in the labour process
obviously conditions our activity and our thinking. But I take it that
*true concepts* appear only through the use of signs. It will still be
the case that such concept formation rests on tool-use - you can't eat
words. Participation in the labour process (however broadly understood)
necessarily entails using tools. I think the relation between tool and
sign in concept formation is found in those two passages to which you
drew our attention on "Word and Action":

http://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/1934/tool-symbol.htm#s25

I don't think these two lines of development are separate - they are
*distinct*, but not separate.

I tend think that "historically" tool use was "prior" but it may not be
the case, and I don't really think it matters. For example, according to
Marx, the first phase of development of capital entailed gathering
workers together in a workshop as wage workers, without making any
change whatsoever in the labour process itself, and all the
revolutionising of machinery only happened later.

http://marxists.catbull.com/archive/marx/works/1864/economic/ch02a.htm

So if that was how it worked in the dawn of humanity, that is, that the
form of cooperation preceded the revolutionising of the means of labour,
this would support the claim for sign use to pre-date tool-use in the
formation of intellect. But I don't know and I doubt that anyone knows.
The point is just that these two lines of development have their
distinct bases and develop side by side in connection with one another.

Hope that helps, Haydi.
Andy

*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/