[Xmca-l] Re: classroom videos

Ed Wall ewall@umich.edu
Thu Dec 4 14:34:48 PST 2014

     Both Deborah Ball and Maggie Lampert at UM (same year, different grades) created a huge collection. I don't think Maggie will let you a have access to hers although you might be able to view it in person ( I guess you could ask Tim Boerst to see what he says - tboerst@umich.edu); however, it may be possible if you contact Kara Suzuki( ksuzuka@umich.edu )- as she manages the interface for Deborah Ball's collection - that you would be allowed to access, with some substantial constraints, Deborah's collection. Also Ruth Heaton taught the same year as Maggie and Deborah a grad student and she wrote up her experience (I think there were some consecutive lessons in her book ('Teaching Mathematics to the New Standards). There was a large project in the Netherlands to do video work also, but I believe it has been discontinued. Perhaps some of the people at the Freudenthal Institute would have information.
     The UM has also put on line what is termed the Teaching & Learning Exploratory (https://tle.soe.umich.edu/) which does have a large number of classroom lessons (but I don't think any consecutive; however, I've never checked). Again, there are constraints that you would need to observe and not being able to  use the lessons for research purposes is one of the usual.

     In any case,as I indicated, it is somewhat unlikely that anyone would give you access - because of the human subjects business - without some substantial constraints. I would suggest that you find somebody that is doing a study and become a member of the research team or, as a number of persons at UM, do doctoral work under someone who has such a database.

     I know that if and how giving people access to such video for research purposes is an ongoing debate.

Ed