[Xmca-l] Soviet/Russian critique of West neurosciences

Arturo Escandon arturo.escandon@gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 19:58:55 PST 2014

I am working on a presentation about the importance of introducing a sound unit of analysis in micro and ontogenesis to avoid the reductionistic type of approach to "behaviour" in neurosciences. The standpoint is philosophical.

Even in early Soviet psychology you could see a split between the sociogenetic approach and the Pavlovian one, which was considered closer to neurophysiology as it was carried out in the West.

Most of what I have read is scattered in different papers though. Has anyone come across a monograph or a stand-alone paper that deals with the differences in approach between the sociogenetic, object-directed-activity, Soviet/Russian approach and the  kind of neuroscientific approach used in the West?

Mike's paper Phylogeny and cultural history in ontogeny has the above narrative in the background, and has been extremely helpful, but I hope to find a more metatheoretical paper.

Best,

Arturo Escandon