[Xmca-l] Re: Mocombian Being in the World

Dr. Paul C. Mocombe pmocombe@mocombeian.com
Tue Dec 2 21:05:57 PST 2014

Annalisa,

For bergson I would start with "time and free will: an essay on the immediate data of consciousness" (1889) and "creative evolution"(1907)...

I have received some feedback on the paper in philosophical and afrocentric circles...the afrocentric people, molefi asante in particular, have a problem with it bcuz it is a direct attack on their attempt to create a so-called afrocentric paradigm among african american scholars, which I argue is problematic due to the fact that I posit that the initial ideological apparatuses of the africans in america were replaced with European ideological apparatuses.  Even the black american church is a simulacra of the white church...the philosophy people asked me to develop the theory independent of my application of it.  I am in the process of doing so in a more indepth paper for the journal sociological theory...

I am with you on the distinction between the vedas and hinduism.  The same process happened with haitian vodou when america occupied the island in 1915.  I am interested in the philosophy of vodou as opposed to its religious manifestation.  Vodou philosophy parallels the vedic tradition, I.e., the world and everything in it are a manifestation of an energy source, bondye, god...etc.

Dr. Paul C. Mocombe
President
The Mocombeian Foundation, Inc.
www.mocombeian.com
www.readingroomcurriculum.com
www.paulcmocombe.info

Hi Paul,

You are most welcome and I hope I have been able to appropriately express my delight from reading your paper.

I'd happy to explain that when I refer to the Vedic thought and the Vedic tradition, I do not necessarily mean hinduism. "Hinduism" is a word given from outside the culture, ironically in same the way Native Americans (or whatever the appropriate designation is), were called "Indians." So I'm referring to the Vedas more specifically than the hindu religion, which derives from the Vedas. This is to say hinduism is the cultural expression of the Vedic tradition, but Vedic thought can be referenced without referencing hinduism, and so that is why I make this distinction, which is important. I'm not sure if there is this such a distinction from other texts that explain worldviews. I respect the religion and its cultural expression, but in this context I believe it is worth peeling away the religious references to focus on the considerations of consciousness.

There are a few intersections of Vedic thought and Western thought that someday I would like to examine. The only one I know at the present time, is Schopenhauer. But I seem to have the feeling there are other German philosophers. I was curious why Heidegger did not go back in time past the Pre-Socratics, because I actually believe Parmenides has some direct parallels to Vedic thought.

I also believe Wittgenstein stumbles across unconsciously and approaches a pramana does; it is as if he were trying to construct one (Pramana is Sanskrit for "means of knowledge"), and this is seen not only in his Tractatus, but also in his last work On Certainty, which I find to be oh-so beautiful. I haven't done a complete reading of Investigations so I can't comment there.

So I'm just sharing connections I've seen, which may only be surface connections and therefore only superficial.

I have not heard of Bergson, do you recommend an entry point for reading? An intro?

Also, are there any questions or comments you might have for the list for points of discussion? It may take a little bit of time I suspect because the threads on mental representation and affordances have just taken off.

What sort of reception have you had so far to your paper elsewhere? Or is it too early (or too late) to ask that?

Kind regards,

Annalisa