[Xmca-l] Re: "The political" and "power" in learning

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 22:24:02 PST 2014

Miguel
your phrase:

 {*the threads* ARE LIKE *roundtables* or *spaces* within a larger venue}

Is an example of meta-phor which captures [grasps] a particular notion of
*thinking* as developing within conference. I will go no further down this
*path* [or way]  as the theme of this *thread* is questioning the relation
of the political and power in learning.
Your particular *journey* as expressed in your article.
I will now *turn* my attention to your article and focus on the section
"decolonizing Pedagogies: Standpoint and Tenets". The power of your writing
shines through the images which you invoke with metaphor as *signposts* to
help me enter your understanding. Your *under*standing *in*formed and
growing *out* of collective experience you name Chicano stand*point*. The
place from which you stand and point as a single gesture.
This  place IS a *vision* by and for Chicanos.  This stand*point* or
*vision* is emergent as it comes into being within my *community* of
Chicanos who are always reinventing the vision of what it *means* to *be*
Chicano.
Miguel you then persuasively share your *believe* [your vision]  which you
express AS a question [a quest]:
 For Chicanos,Is the question of colonialism central to the curriculum and
its investigation [as a quest]  SHOULD emerge as an expression of Chicano
communities' self-determination?

The term "believe" holds an image, which is symbolic, of Chicano Community
which you, Miguel are imagining and you are persuading other Chicanos to
accompany you on this quest . You are acting from this imaginal *space*
[standpoint] as an open space of possibility which can be populated by
Chicano *selves* which emerge AS the Chicano community comes to be what is
imagined and believed AS Chicano community. This phenomena of reinvention,
emerging from this imaginal possibility, will be incarnated [made flesh,
made physical] through *articulated* principles forming within Chicano
community.

Miguel, to turn again to your phrase which I indicated through repetition
is to return to the phenomena of the thinking *conference* as emerging at
*roundtables* or *open spaces* of possibility.

I question if I am *off base* with my thinking process was carried away to
talking at roundtables. If this is intruding on this thread whose focus is
exploring power and the political within learning communities, I apologize.
As a reader, I entered the realm of intentional and interpretive
communities which are imagined places which SHOULD bring forth actual
communities.
Miguel your passion and compassion are necessary to bring into being [to
generate] Chicano communities which form through shared experiences and
shared expressions of those experiences. The relation of the *seeing AS*
and the *saying* AS shared projects. The  phenomenological AND cultural
historical quests sharing a family resemblance, though using different
symbols and metaphors. Are they gesturing or indicating a shared quest?