[Xmca-l] Re: cognitive linguistics and Re: a new Ph.D. program at UC San Diego with a focus on Transforming Education in a Diverse Society

Helle Merja merja.helle@aalto.fi
Sat Aug 30 09:53:04 PDT 2014

A new article written with my colleagues combining activity theory (change
laboratory) and cognitive linguistics
will be published in the September issue of Discourse & Society

Minna Jaakola, Maija Töyry, Merja Helle, Tiina Onikki-Rantajääskö

Construing the reader:
A multidisciplinary approach
to journalistic texts

 Abstract
In order to compare the relationship between the intended aims of
journalists and the journalistic
texts produced, this article develops further the notion of the reader in
two directions: first,
as an intended Œmodel reader¹ of a media concept that is collectively
construed in the editorial
process and, second, as a Œconstrued reader¹ that is analyzed from the
texts. Media concept and
model reader are concepts and tools for making visible and analyzing the
goals, values, content
and organization of work in media organizations, whereas with the concept
of a construed reader
it is possible to assess the texts as outcomes of the editorial process
and in this way compare
them with the intentions. The construed reader in the text is analyzed
from the viewpoint of
cognitive grammar theory and its Œdimensions of construal¹ in which
Œspecificity¹, Œfocusing¹ and
Œperspective¹ are used as linguistic tools for analysis. The case study
data come from a Finnish
third-sector magazine.
 Keywords
cognitive grammar, construed reader, dimensions of construal, discourse
analysis, Finnish,
focusing, implied reader, intentions, magazine texts, media concept, media
studies, model
reader, perspective, specificity

E-mail me if you want a copy of the article

Br

merja

Dr. Merja Helle

Head of Research, Media Concepts Research Group, Aalto School of Arts,
Design and Architecture
Hämeentie 135 C, 00560 Helsinkimerja.helle@aalto.fi
tel. +358 50 4485 111
http://www.mediaconceptsrg.net/