[Xmca-l] Re: The Highlander Center in Tennessee

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 08:17:22 PDT 2014

​Peg and Andy,
RE: chat and crises, Horton also has a moment where he notes the importance
of conflict (this is when Moyers asks him about violence). He says that
conflict is always there and in a sense it is the starting point.

Andy, in his conversation with Freire, there is an interesting discussion
about "experts". Horton is not as cynical about expert knowledge as Freire.
Horton seems to see it more as a tool to be used by the local community in
their  collective decision making. He describes bringing a very concerned
and well intentioned lawyer into Highlander to explain to the parents what
their options are. After the lawyer explained their options he started to
tell them what he thought they should do. At that point, Horton describes
how he had to forcibly take the guy by the arm and haul him out of the room
so that this expert didn't make the decisions for those who were most
familiar with the situation. Horton said as he was pulling the guy out of
the room, the guy kept right on talking to the very last.
Good intentions...

Here is a link to the pdf of the Freire-Horton book We Make the Road by
Walking (what a great title!):
http://codkashacabka.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/we-make-the-road-by-walking-myles-and-paolo-freie-book.pdf
Made some great Sunday reading.
-greg​