[Xmca-l] Re: The Highlander Center in Tennessee

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Mon Aug 25 03:31:45 PDT 2014

Thanks so much for this, Greg,
Listening to the guy (it took me all day to get through this 2 hour
video!) it comes across much clearer than I could get it from various texts.
Around the 48 min mark he tells how this tough union group came up to
Highlander to work through a problem they had, and they came to Horton
and said they wanted him to make the decision for them because they
couldn't resolve it. Horton refused. So they put a gun to his head to
make their point. Still he refused.
I was looking for where/how he *taught* collective decision-making, but
it is clear now, by just insisting that people "take charge of their own
lives" and demanding that while at the Center they run the whole place,
together, and refusing ever to make a decision or tell them what ought
to be done, they learnt how to make collective decisions, in their own way.
In the autumn of 1959, when the students who were later to create SNCC
came to Highlander (as opposed to the unionists CIO had been sending),
this had the particularly spectacular outcomes which I am interested in.
Sorry to be a little cryptic, but it's a work in progress.
Thank you Robert and Peg and Greg for your assistance.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/