[Xmca-l] Re: About 「hope 」 in socio-cultural research

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Sun Aug 24 12:36:24 PDT 2014

Hi Jing Jing,

I was just about to say the same thing, not only Paolo Freire but also Orlando Fals Borda and his concept of vivencia.  It is interesting, I was just having a talk with a student about the two different perspectives of what many have come to call critical theory (although I don't think Freire or Fals Borda or Budd Hall ever referred to participatory action research in that way).  There is the more Latino/Latina pan-African perspective that seems more based in hope and possibility, and there is what seems to me a more European perspective that is more angry and cynical (I want to emphasize that this just my view right now).

Good luck on your project.

Michael

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] on behalf of Robert Lake [boblake@georgiasouthern.edu]
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:59 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re:   About 「hope 」 in socio-cultural research

Dear Jing Jing,
I am so glad to hear of your interest in hope as it relates to  the
socio-cultural
framework in education. You might want to look at *Pedagogy of Hope* by
Paulo Freire,
and *The Revolution of Hope: Toward a Humanized Technology* by Erich Fromm
Also you can read the introduction to this book for a little more specific
application of
Freire's work to the present day.
https://www.sensepublishers.com/media/1476-we-saved-the-best-for-you.pdf
This project seems really significant in the context of present and future
Japan.
Let us know if we can help more specifically.

*Robert Lake  Ed.D.*Associate Professor
Social Foundations of Education
Dept. of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
Georgia Southern University
Secretary/Treasurer-AERA- Paulo Freire Special Interest Group
P. O. Box 8144
Phone: (912) 478-0355
Fax: (912) 478-5382
Statesboro, GA  30460