[Xmca-l] Re: The ideal head

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 22:31:24 PDT 2014

I keep thinking that the title of the thread should really be changed. But
our group here in Seoul has been translating Vygotsky's lectures on
pedology, and a central theme of the lectures is, believe it or not, the
ideal head. Vygotsky, who is a teacher with a very fine knack for striking
images, wants to convey the idea that development is not a matter of
developing this function or that one, but rather a matter of proportion,
that is, the relationship between functions. So he keeps reminding his
students how the head, the limbs, and the torso change in proportion and in
their relative weight as the child grows. The same thing is true within the
body--the various glands of the endocrine system rise and fall like
governments, and sometimes one gland which relies on the help of another
gland to rise for power discovers, like the bourgeoisie, that it has
prepared its own grave-digger (e.g. the pituitary and thyroid glands, which
are trying to depose the thymus, rely on the sex glands which eventually
bring about their own overthrow).

Vygotsky warns students against constructing a picture of development in
which one psychological function simply replaces another. He points out
that when "affective perception", which is supposed to be the first
differentiated and dominant function in early childhood, seizes power, it
has no rival, because none of the other functions are differentiated yet.
Then, when "memory", which is supposed to be the most rapidly developing
and therefore predominating function in the preschooler, takes command, it
must necessarily share power with perception (which is now internally
differentiated, between emotion and sensation); a "deposed" function
doesn't somehow de-differentiated itself. And in later years, according to
Vygotsky, it is no longer necessary for a function to seize power for it to
become differentiated, simply because the process of reconstructing the
interfunctional relations each time a new function predominates works to
"repel" functions by subtracting the linking function (affective
perception, memory) which once inked them.

I think we can see from this that Vygotsky doesn't have in mind a simple,
linear timeline in which one function replaces another, or one leading
activity replaces another, or one neoformation replaces another. In fact,
the crisis Greg is referring to is the Crisis at Seven, which Martin very
aptly described as the crisis of the differentiation of inside the ego and
its outside. (I must ask Martin where he got that wonderful description of
the age periods!) Vygotsky gives a number of symptoms, as he does for each
crisis, and the one he gives for this one is particularly fetching: it is
the child who has learned to play-act, but doesn't really have a specific
role in mind, and just enjoys talking with a squeaky voice, or waddling
instead of walking, or some other affected but not actually descriptive
form of behavior. Vygotsky even points out that the humor of Charlie
Chaplin depends largely on the assumption that a person could grow into
adulthood WITHOUT passing through this stage (and therefore having the kind
of immediacy of emotion that we observe in five year olds all of his life).

When I was in art school in China, we had a similar exercise. The
professors wanted to show us that the discovery of proportion in painting
children was a very late discovery in art. We were told that the ancient
Greeks considered the ideal head to be exactly one eighth of the body
height (and according to the archaeological record, the Greeks
themselves were only about seven heads talll, although their statues are
usually eight heads in eight). Because of the influence of Greek art, we
see that children throughout a great deal of Western art look like small
adults, with physiques that Vygotsky would call "eunuchoid" (that is, pin
heads and very long arms and legs, like the celebrated castrato
Farinelli). One of da Vinci's brilliant contributions to art was to paint a
Madonna and child where, because Mary's head is almost the same size as
Jesus's, Jesus actually looks correctly proportioned for a child.

This summer we are working on teaching mathematics to kids who love to
draw. So one exercise we are going to do is having them work out the
correct formula for drawing ideal heads from a child's age. In case you
don't know it, it is:

y = 9 (H - 4)/2, where "y" is the number of years, and H is the height of
the child in heads.

Interestingly, the average person today, thanks to improved nutrition since
the time of the ancient Greeks, is almost eight heads tall. So we have,
Nietszche to the contrary not withstanding, managed to become not what the
Greeks were, but rather what they wanted to be.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies