[Xmca-l] Re: The ideal head

Helen Grimmett helen.grimmett@monash.edu
Sun Aug 10 18:20:10 PDT 2014

I've always understood Vygotsky's crises as being related to a change in
social positioning:

1: Baby starts to walk and talk which radically alters her social
positioning with others (particularly with immediate family/caregivers)
3: Begins pre-school - exposed to new adults and peers, expected to
participate in group activities
6/7: Begins school - new expectations on child to take up position as
'learner'
12: Adolescence - physical changes bring about changes in interests, social
relationships etc

I've got no idea how well-founded this understanding is, but it's the only
way I have been able to make sense of why we criticise Piaget's ages/stages
model and accept Vygotsky's. It also means though that we have to be
flexible about the ages given, i.e. in Australia children start school at
5, so the 6/7 crisis would appear earlier.

My 2 bobs worth
Helen

Dr Helen Grimmett
Lecturer, Student Adviser,
Faculty of Education,
Room G64F, Building 902
Monash University, Berwick campus
Phone: 9904 7171

*New Book: *
The Practice of Teachers' Professional Development: A Cultural-Historical
Approach
<https://www.sensepublishers.com/catalogs/bookseries/professional-learning-1/the-practice-of-teachers-professional-development/>
Helen Grimmett (2014) Sense Publishers

<http://monash.edu.au/education/news/50-years/?utm_source=staff-email&utm_medium=email-signature&utm_campaign=50th>