[Xmca-l] Re: Intrinsic motivation?

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 11:57:46 PDT 2014

Martin, Andy,

I hope Martin's answer [which came as a surprise as saying there are
multiple *objective motives*  and these multiple motives are not the
specific motives of a person opens this conversation towards the TYPES of
*relations* existing between the contrasting *objective motives*
Do each of these *objective motives* have an *inheritance*?? and possibly
we can understand the *mind* as the triadic *third* that interweaves these
multiple *objective motives*? .

This seems to have some *resemblance* to the notion of *modes* of
consciousness [or *ways* of life*]

It also opens up the notion of *gestures* as SHOWING  [ *MOTIVES*
*MODES*   *WAYS*]  through indicating how to proceed as  orienting and
paying *attention* to the *subject matter*  at hand.

SHIFTING TO a Deweyian language. The theme of *denotating empiricism*  [as
showing to say] or Merleau-Ponty's notion of language AS gestures.

I am attempting to *translate* the notion of *objective motive* through
notions of simultaneously existing human *worlds* that co-exist and when
gestured towards need continual translation of the *showings through
*sayings* [not showing only through the said]
For example when Martin *showed* [denotated* an expanded notion of
*objective motive** BEYOND the pre-existing single monism of *objective
motive*
This adds the temporal/historical *dimension* [a topological metaphor of
time] to the exploration of *objective motive* as a *concept*

Do we SEE *objective motives* when we POINT in their/there  direction??
This is the question of the relation OF *precept* AND *concept*
being *mediated THROUGH A THIRD?  Is this relation between perception and
conception a *to-and-fro movement* ??   Is this relation symmetrical or
asymmetrical??  [does perception or conception take priority?]  Does this
priority CHANGE THROUGH TIME as the mediating third is also historically
constituted??

To return to *objective motive* AS  *objective motiveS*  does EACH
particular *objective motive* carry or call forth a particular
*value/virtue* that is not merely subjective.

I am left curious to hear more of this conversation on the notion of
*objective motive* as a TERM

Larry