[Xmca-l] Re: Intrinsic motivation?

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Fri Aug 8 18:01:32 PDT 2014

OK! I admit that is a solution that I didn't see coming. :)

I gather from your formulation that an objective motive is not the
motive of a person (otherwise, how could you contrast it with 'personal
motive'). So that is my first question: who/what's motive is it, if not
that of person(s)?

Secondly, I agree that *every* motive is objective; but equally every
motive is subjective. But the point is that Leontyev contrasts
"objective" with "subjective" motives. I have no problem with the
statement that every motive is objective in that (1) the aim is that a
desired state of affairs exists in the material world, not as a state of
mind, and (2) the desire is in the mind, but arises from the
life-situation of the person in the material world, their material needs
and so on; motives begin and end in the material world, but pass through
consciousness. But the whole idea of "motive" is that it is active in
consciousness. So it seems the idea of multiple objective motives can
only be a truism. It cannot help Leontyev, because for Leontyev there is
only one objective motive. I think you and I would be together in
disagreeing with ANL here. But we would all agree that all "personal
motives" are also objective in the sense (1).

Thirdly, let me take a guess that you mean that an "objective motive" is
the motive of the activity. It is only a guess, but you say: "multiple
objective motives, none of them simply the sum of personal motives."
Could you explain what exactly you would mean by the "motive" of an
activity, if this is the case, and in what sense the "motive of an
activity" can have multiple instantiations. Do you mean "kill two birds
with one stone" so to speak? If that is what you mean, I agree, but that
is only a trivial distinction. Do you mean that diverse social interests
(not individual interests) are at play in an activity, and potentially
all may be realised simultaneously? If so, I agree, but ANL would not.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/