[Xmca-l] Re: Intrinsic motivation?

Maria Cristina Migliore migliore@ires.piemonte.it
Tue Aug 5 07:42:38 PDT 2014

Greg and Andy,

Thank you for your comments.

Greg, I absolutely agree with you about the difficulties of overcoming our
western language and thoughts, so influenced by the Cartesian dualism.
Andy, I hope to be able to show a bit how I connect activities in what
follow.

About my attempts to overcome a dualistic language: I tend to prefer to
talk about a) single development (as suggest by Cole and Wertsh) instead of
individual and activity (or context or project) development; b) dimensions
of a phenomenon instead of levels of a phenomenon (micro-meso-macro); c)
motives instead of motivation.

However it happens that I need to swing between ‘my’ new language and the
‘standard’ one, because I am living in a still Cartesian world and I need
to be understood by people (and even myself!) who are (am) made of this
Cartesian world.

My dissertation research has been on older workers (OW) and learning in the
industrial sector. I wanted to highlight the subjective dimension in the
case of OW’ workplace learning. (I use this locution instead of “the
subjectivity of the OW *in* workplace learning”, that is, a noun of a
*thing* *in* a context).

As I said in my previous email, I have used the Leontiev’s
conceptualisation of subjectivity which leads to use the concept of motives
instead of the one of motivation. The concept of motives is very useful
because it is behind activity and it is the same concept that we can use to
analyse the subjective dimension of an activity.

I have analyzed two industrial firms and their objects of activity – the
latter is the Leontiev’s concept of object-oriented activity.

I have elaborated the concept of ‘strategy of production’ and argued that
the strategy of production is the object of an industrial activity.

I have reviewed the industrial sociological literature to list the most
important strategies of production. The most famous is maybe the mass
production, that strategy of production which aims at producing a large
quantity of goods by organizing the production through the assembly line.

One of the two firms on which I have carried out one of my embedded case
studies is driven by this model of strategy of production. I call this firm
E1.

I am now trying to provide a taste of the concrete analysis that I have
done in my research work:

Ms D is an older worker and works at the assembly line in the enterprise E1
oriented to the strategy of production of mass production (that is, the
object of the activity of E1). In her interview she talks about her
professional and family life. She talks with passion about the importance
of quality in assembling parts in her workplace. She tells that she
“acquired” (Kantian and computational language about knowledge and the
possibility of “acquiring” knowledge) the interest in the quality through
the many training courses she had to attend at the beginning of her working
life in the 1960s. But immediately after this utterance, she seems to
correct herself and says that she have been having this interest for
quality “in herself”.

She seems to swing between two ways of looking at this: something *external*
that she acquired/ something which has been *inside* her from the
beginning. These two ways of looking at the issue corresponds to the
behavioural and cognitivist approaches. This is interesting because shows
how she is using the conceptual tools provided by the dominant collective
discourses.

If I use my theoretical framework to interpret Ms D’s passion for quality
of the production, I would say that it comes from the internalization of
the motive of quality in the 1960s, when the firm was more oriented to the
quality of production. It is also possible that her interest-motive for
quality comes from her activity at home. She looks as a very well-groomed
woman. Everything seems to say that she likes ‘quality’.

Today the global completion is hurting the firm E1. Its strategy of
production is dominated by the quantity value and less by the quality
value. Ms D was struggling with this contradiction (she has now retired):
she wanted to keep caring with quality, but the firm to which she belonged
have moved toward a different strategy of production. Her externalization
of the motive of quality entered in tension with the new object of the
activity (or project) of E1.

Where have she learned to be how she is showing to be? We can see that Ms D
has been participating in many different activities. Where is that Ms D
begins as human being and where is that the firm E1 begins? I can see that
part of Ms D is part of the history of this firm E1. The firm also exists
because a part of this is made of Ms D and her passion for quality.

In short, we could say that the quality as a motive governs both: the life
of Ms D and the firm E1 (more in the past, less now).

In conclusion – to answer to the Greg’s questions - the solution I have
developed so far to adapt my language to a non-dualistic one is the one of
adopting

a) an interdisciplinary approach to increase the range of interpretative
conceptual tools;

b) a design research based on multiple embedded case studies and narratives
to collect data about the various dimensions of the phenomenon of older
workers and learning and

c) the use of concept as motive which is common to the subjective dimension
and the collective and material dimension of activity.

Hope this post can help Greg.

Cristina
(my name is Maria-Cristina, a double name which is unusual in the
Anglo-Saxon culture. Between Maria and Cristina, I definitely prefer to be
called Cristina :-) )

--

Maria Cristina Migliore, Ph.D.

Senior Researcher

IRES Istituto Ricerche Economico Sociali del Piemonte

Via Nizza, 18

10125 Torino – Italia

Tel. +39 011 6666463

cell. 348 0454272

Fax.  +39 011 6696012

e-mail   migliore@ires.piemonte.it

skype mariacristinamigliore

IRES web www.ires.piemonte.it

LinkedIn Maria Cristina Migliore

personal web www.mariacristinamigliore.it (Italiano)

personal web www.mariacristinamigliore.it/index_e.htm (English)

*Con il tuo 5 per mille all’IRES Piemonte contribuisci a migliorare la vita
nella tua regione.*

*Info: www.ires.piemonte.it/5xmille.html
<http://www.ires.piemonte.it/5xmille.html>*

*P* Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this
e-mail

Nota di riservatezza: Il presente messaggio, corredato dei relativi
allegati, contiene informazioni da considerarsi strettamente riservate ed è
destinato esclusivamente alla persona destinataria sopra indicata, la quale
è l'unica autorizzata ad usarlo, copiarlo e, sotto la propria
responsabilità, diffonderlo. Chiunque ricevesse questo messaggio per errore
o comunque lo leggesse senza esserne legittimata è pregata di rinviarlo
alla mittente distruggendone l'originale. Grazie. Si prega inoltre di
tenere conto che la trasmissione non può essere garantita senza errori e in
sicurezza.

This message and any files or documents attached are confidential and may
also be legally privileged or protected by other legal rules. It is
intended only for the individual or entity named. If you have received this
email in error, please inform the sender, delete it from your system and do
not copy or disclose it or its contents or use it for any purpose. Thank
you. Please also note that transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure
or error-free.