[Xmca-l] Re: Intrinsic motivation?

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 22:14:30 PDT 2014

In Chapter Twelve of "History of the Development of the Higher
Psychological Functions", Vygotsky makes a distinction between "motive" and
"stimulus". To me, it's one of those distinctions that is very hard to pin
down, because in life we almost always experience them together (like
"doing" and "undergoing"), and in some ways Vygotsky's terminology is not
particularly helpful (Vygotsky is in reactological mode, and he says that
motive is a "reactive formation crystallized around a formation"). But the
examples he gives are pretty useful.

His first example is from Otto Neurath: it's the use of a "neutral
stimulus" which is voluntarily given the status of motive (like when you
agree to buy everybody lunch if it rains or when Korean kids solemnly
undertake to write their names in the air with their buttocks if they lose
a game). His second example is from William James: it's a patient who
"raises his arm" to a doctor during an operation (or the famous writer
Fanny Burney, who in the eighteenth century had a mastectomy without
anaesthetic; the attendants all ran screaming from the room, and so Fanny
had to hold her own severed breast for the doctor). His third example is
Lewin's "quasi-need"--you don't know where to mail a letter so you
just decide that you will mail it in the first mailbox you see, and just go
out and wander around at random until you see one. In each case, Vygotsky
says, there is a detachment of the motive from the stimulus. But there is
also the reattachment of the motive to something that can be moved
entirely away from what Leontiev would call the "operating conditions" of
the operation; something which, for want of a better term, we can call a
"self", an imaginary character we make up (in both senses of the word) to
act in our place and to behave just a little bit more intelligently and
more morally and more attractively than we normally would.

It seems to me that a trichotomy here would be more useful than a
dichotomy. First, there's the stimulus in all its horror and pain and
fleeting pleasure. Second, there is the detachment of the motive from the
stimulus, which seems to be what we mean when we first differentiate the
"intrinsic" stimulus (the stimulus that makes the activity itself horrible
or painful or pleasurable or interesting) from the "extrinsic" motive (the
long term project that makes it in our interests despite all the horror and
pain and even the pleasure and short-term interest). From this point of
view, extrinsic motivation is a big step forward, because a child be
confronted with some final version of development which can be idealized,
speechified, and moved to the beginning of an action and can assume a
planning function. But then, thirdly, extrinsic motivation somehow has to
be reattached and interiorized. So...my question is--is the "final form" of
development only ever part of the second moment of extrinsic motivation, or
does it have an important role to play in the creation of the self? (When
Andy says that the project to project relation is what forms a personality,
he seems to be saying that it does! But is a role model...or an ideal draft
of a self--really a "project'?)

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies