[Xmca-l] Re: Intrinsic motivation?

Cathrene Connery cconnery@ithaca.edu
Sun Aug 3 10:52:17 PDT 2014

Hi Greg:
I think you are onto something here, in light  of the fact that many dichotomies are false, especially when contextualized within the sociocultural, historical-political complexity of human society. While John-Steiner and Hersh were specifically talking about recognition and motivation in this case, is also possible that the scientist/artist/athelete or other thinkers-performers experience a completely different and discipline-specific form of fulfillment when accomplishing that which has not be achieved before and /or witnessing such big "C" (vs. little "c" creative events). The sense of fulfillment, in these instances, is derived from a specialized subculture that knows the inherent worth of the accomplishment (such as Olympic or world-class athletes). I suspect that these individuals experience a type of catharsis that involves both cognitive and affective aspects as well as aesthetic-functional dimensions. But, I have 60 papers to grade for summer school, so it is time to get back to work.
Cathrene

Dr. Cathrene Connery
Associate Professor of Education
Ithaca College