[Xmca-l] Re: NYTimes.com: Why Do Americans Stink at Math?

Bella Kotik-Friedgut bella.kotik@gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 04:57:39 PDT 2014

I want to retell a personal story of a student who shared it in my M.A.
Vygotsky class at HU some years ago. (Today he has Ph.D in education).
He always was recognized as a talented writer and poet, receiving
 different literary prizes as a teenager. But he had some problems with
math and somebody explained him that these talents do not go together, that
his struggle with math is because of his literary talent. And in addition
"You belong to the Moroccans and this is not a good sign for math
capacities"  So he received it verdict and graduated school without
matriculation exam in math, which is a serious obstacle for higher
education.
Being at the army service, he was lucky to meet a teacher who explained him
that who stopped him from studying math was just wrong: "A talented person
is talented in all he does"  This became his new slogan and he studied and
successfully made the matriculation test in math and made education his
professional field.
So the social-cultural aspect here was working clearly.

Sincerely yours Bella Kotik-Friedgut