[Xmca-l] Re: The Wreck of the Sewol

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 15:44:44 PDT 2014

One of the by-products of Korea being on-line 24 hours a day is that
false information is extremely plentiful. Initially, for example, it
was reported that the ship had struck a rock, that all the teachers
had survived, and that many of the children, trapped in air pockets,
were texting their parents on shore.

None of this appears to be true.The accident appears to have been
caused by a sudden turn of the helm by the third mate, who had less
than one year of experience and was navigating a swift current at high
speed while the captain was snug in his bunk below. The current seems
to have seized the boat and spun it, causing the cargo to shift and
the boat to list to the point where it was taking in water over the
side. At that point, as any sailor knows, it is time to abandon ship.
But no order to abandon ship was ever given, and the boat went down
with its lifeboats and life rafts almost entirely unlaunched. Despite
this, all the crew but two appear to have survived (the purser and a
junior crew member stayed behind to help children, and are now
missing). About a third of the children were rescued. Only three out
of the fourteen teachers lived.

I think that knowledge is like anything else in a stratified society;
it is highly stratified, and those who make decisions are often
(almost always) least qualified to do so by virtue of their isolation
from the consequences, which means isolation from facts on the ground
and at the gunwale. For example, the captain's reason for not
abandoning ship was that the currents were very swift and he was
afraid the children would be swept away if they launched the life
rafts (true); he thought that the wreck would stabilize itself (as it
would have if they had struck a rock) and that the kids would be
better off near the floating wreck.

When something like the internet temporarily replaces that
stratification with atomization, this does not automatically place
vital information at the disposal of those who most urgently need it.
It is far more likely to give them misleading and murderous
information instead. For example, the texts from trapped children,
incredibly, appear to be the work of bored pranksters with too much
time and a "smart" phone on their hands; already one person has died
in the rush to rescue "trapped" children who probably don't exist.

I don't think that Vygotsky was anti-education or opposed to equal
access to educational artifacts; he would not have been against
knowing how to swim or opposed to distributing life jackets. I think
that Vygotsky's point was that neither a stratified
empiricist-inspired social-behaviorism that was then sweeping the
Soviet Union (and which is still sweeping Vygotskyan inspired
education in the West) nor an atomistic naturalistic attitude to
information will explain or help us to expand self-mastery, autonomy,
and free will. We must somehow figure out how to replace obedience
with judgment, and  astonishment with foresight. As Francine says,
it's a matter of creativity and imagination. But creativity and
imagination is a developmental problem, and there can be no solution
to it that suits every age.

During the great Sichuan earthquake a few years ago, my little niece
was in class. Her teacher rose to her feet and immediately rushed from
the building, and most of the children followed. When I talked to
Yang-yang about it, she thought the teacher did the right thing,
because the children would not have left if she had just given verbal
instructions; it was much better for her to demonstrate and call on
the kids to follow. I can see that with very little children what
Yang-yang says might be true (although of course the teacher has to go
back and get the ones that didn't follow). But with older children the
verbal instruction will have to suffice. By the time the children get
to middle school, no verbal instruction should be necessary, and high
school kids should be able to survive even the most misleading and
murderous of verbal instructions.

I think that's the sense in which what Paul says is true: by the time
you get to be Dr. Paul Macombe, it is, as Dr. Johnson said when he was
awarded a doctorate, like swimming ashore on your own and getting hit
in the head with a life preserver. But how do you get all the kids
safely ashore?

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies