[Xmca-l] Re: Intonation and Gesture

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 17:16:53 PDT 2014

Martin:

I thought that it was impossible to embed non-textual mediational
meanss in the Plain Text Mode e-mails that made it possible for me to
resubscribe to xmca. Sure enough I can see the picture that you sent
but I can't make it move).

I think, though, that youtube links work okay. Try this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1lDbR-hres

You guessed it. It's three Oksapmin children sitting around talking
about the "body parts" number system that Vygotsky discusses in HDHMF
and which Geoffrey Saxe and Indigo Esmonde investigated longitudinally
in MCA 12 (3 & 4) pp.171-225.

You asked in your previous missive why I think the means of mediation
disappears with decontextualization/internalization. Perhaps
"disappear" is the wrong word; it is not, actually, Vygotsky's word
(Vygotsky says that it is restructured). But you can see that the
child is demonstrating the body parts numbering system through
speaking and gesture. The child on the right, on the other hand, is
only repeating the words. Interestingly, the child appears to be much
more familiar with the words at the beginning of the system than at
the end, because at the beginning of the counting sequence, the child
on the right can anticipate what the child on the left is going to
say, but towards the end of the sequence, the child has to wait and
hear the word before he can repeat it (I am more or less the same when
I try to count to 27 in Russian, because I tried to internalize the
words by doing sit ups and I never got past about fifteen, which tells
you more than you ever wanted to know about the state of my abs....)

The reason I prefer to use "disappearance" when I describe this
process is that I am afraid that the word "mediation" is losing its
explanatory power through the kind of inflationary process that
Vygotsky talks about in the "Crisis" when he gives us the fable about
the frog that wanted to be as big as a cow. (You can see exactly the
same thing happening with "dialogue" amongst the Bakhtinians).
Vygotsky himself, at the end of Chapter Five of HDHMF, gets extremely
frustrated with people who talk about words as psychological tools
(e.g. "Tools of the Mind") and says that the relationship between
signs and tools is a purely abstract and logical one, and cannot be
conflated (as people on this very list do when they speak of
"artifacts"). Since Vygotsky does talk about inner speech as being
less or even unmediated, I think it is fair to say that the
restructuring of a process--the sort of thing we can see going on
here--is a kind of disappearance of the outward froms of mediation;
the replacement of a gesture by a word, and the replacement of a word
by a thought.

McNeill, by trying to catch Vygotsky in a contradiction, catches
himself in one. Take a look at p. 219 of his earlier book, "Hand and
Mind", (University of Chicago Press, 1992). He says this:

"Linguistic signs are not in themselves units of consciousness.
Instead, the role of linguistic signs is to mediate consciousness
(Zinchenko, 1985; Tulviste 1989). In this view, the linguistic
component a) gives consciousness a concrete anchor in the system of
language and b) brings new material into consciousness."

Now, it is true that the use of "mediate" is not his, and "in this
view" implies a certain distancing from the view he's expressing. But
it is clear, from the context, that McNeill does not think word
meaning is a unit of consciousness. He thinks that word "sense" is a
little closer to a unit of consciousness. But the true unit of
consciousness, as far as McNeill is concerned, is the GP--the Growth
Point.

On the very next page, McNeill says this:

"What does the growth point consist of? It is, theoretically, the
utterance's primitive stage, the earliest form of the utterance in
deep time, and the opening up of a microgenetic process that yeilds
the surface utterance form as the final stage. The growth point is the
speaker's minimal idea unit that can develop into a full utterance
together with a gesture."

So the GP both is and is not a unit of consciousness! So too, thinking
both does and does not exist without speech.

Go figure. Or maybe figure and go?

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies