[Xmca-l] Re: Intonation and Gesture

"Rémi A. van Compernolle" compernolle@gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 04:24:55 PDT 2014

David, Alex:

Nice clip and commentaries. I wonder, though, what the singer’s gestures would have looked like as she was first learning the piece, and how their qualities might have changed as she practiced. This is obviously of interest to Vygotskians (genetic method, right?), and it has been the object of some inquiry in education (e.g., Goldin-Meadow’s work) as well as in second language learning (including Alex’s work).

I think this might be something for your students to explore in their investigations of elementary children learning to perform dialogues, David, i.e. not just focusing on how much or how little gestures are used and their relation with prosody but how they might develop, from initial learning through to some kind of “competent” performance (whatever that might mean). Also, could the kids be taught to gesture as a means of mediating dialogue performance?

Adam

Rémi A. van Compernolle
Assistant Professor of Second Language Acquisition & French and Francophone Studies
Department of Modern Languages
Carnegie Mellon University
Baker Hall A60M
412-268-1122