[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: Things Fall Apart listed as "trigger warning"

Jenna McWilliams jennamcjenna@gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 10:30:47 PDT 2014

I have a different opinion. I don't think it hurts anybody to be made aware that some novels and topics trigger more intense emotions in some due to past experiences of trauma. If anything, it poised us to think about the different experiences--many of these based in deep social inequities--that people bring to education and to build a pedagogy of responsiveness as a result.

Theories of trauma are rooted in feminist theory, queer studies, disability studies, and critical race theory. Too often trauma-focused research and pedagogies of trauma and responsiveness are ignored, dismissed, or attacked because of education's grounding in rationalist (eurocentric, masculinist, heterosexist, etc.) ways of conceptualizing knowledge, education, and experience.

My .02.

Jenna McWilliams
Cultural-Historical Research SIG Communication Chair, AERA
Indiana University

jennamcjenna@gmail.com
jenmcwil@indiana.edu

Sent from my iPhone