[Xmca-l] Re: Ignorance as a driver in science

mike cole lchcmike@gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 06:46:21 PDT 2014

Good luck in your inquiry, Laure. Here is my question: If an ounce of
prevention is worth a pound of cure, what changes in human development
would be required to implement practices that privilege prevention instead
of repair?

David --

What is the incompatibility you see between schooling and cultural learning?
My own take on this issue remains what it was a while back, as laid out in
the attached.

So far as I can tell, the default answer to your question widely accepted
among both developmentalists and the public is the intense preparation for
schooling beginning as early as possible in children's lives is the only
way to go. More, not less, emphasis on school-as-we-know-it -- and lots
more of it.

Paradoxical, isn't it?
mike