[Xmca-l] Re: Activity Setting: Shared Meaning

Cliff O'Donnell cliffo@hawaii.edu
Tue Aug 13 21:33:04 PDT 2013

I appreciate your contribution to this discussion, Larry. Putting on
my community psychology hat,
help me understand whether we would have developed a different
intervention plan if we used forming
instead of formed intersubjectivity. Or if not in that situation, are
there other interventions where it would make a difference?

Cliff

On Aug 13, 2013, at 5:30 PM, Larry Purss wrote:

> [...]
>> community may differ in their personal understanding of the shared
>> meanings
>> of the cultural community, just as individuals differ in their
>> skills,
>> thoughts, experiences, and emotions. All of us are a combination of
>> the
>> cultures of gender, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, social
>> economic
>> status, etc.
>>
>> In our formulation, defining community by shared activities allows
>> the
>> assessment of communities by the degree and attributes of the
>> activities
>> they share. Also, defining culture by shared meanings allows the
>> assessment
>> of cultures by the meanings they share. In our example of the youth
>> and
>> adults in a Native American community, the activities and meanings
>> of those
>> activities differed dramatically between the youth and adults. The
>> difference was so pronounced that the groups formed different
>> cultural
>> communities, even though they all lived in the same small town and
>> were all
>> from the same Native American tribe. Knowledge of their activities
>> and
>> shared meanings was essential in developing an intervention plan
>> and is an
>> example of cultural community psychology using CHAT concepts.
>>
>> Thanks again for your contributions to this discussion.
>>
>> Cliff
>>

>> On Aug 13, 2013, at 11:50 AM, David H Kirshner wrote:
>>
>> Just to add a thought on the tricky notion of "shared meaning" that
>>> Lubomir focusses on in discussion of culture and community; it seems
>>> important to differentiate shared meaning from shared
>>> understanding. What
>>> is shared in a culture or community are categories of meaning.
>>> Individuals
>>> who are participants in the culture, or members of the community,
>>> may draw
>>> quite differently from the shared categories in constructing
>>> personal
>>> understandings. To push this a bit further, we might say that a
>>> culture may
>>> be comprised of (or may encompass) a range of discrete categories or
>>> paradigms of meaning. Cultures can be distinguished from one
>>> another by
>>> substantially different constellations of categories. However,
>>> communities,
>>> as more local entities constituted within cultures, are defined in
>>> terms of
>>> a politics of interpretation. Personal understandings within a
>>> community
>>> are bounded by community norms regarding appropriate categories of
>>> meaning
>>> that can be drawn upon with respect to those critical matters of

>>> community. Our article presents the implications of doing so for